Reports & Previews

Wasteful Downs lose five-goal thriller to Polokwane

Mamelodi Sundowns wasted a number of golden opportunities in the first half and they were made to pay as Polokwane City beat the Brazilians 3-2 in an entertaining Premiership clash on Saturday afternoon.

  • Polokwane City 3 Mamelodi Sundowns 2
  • Lebese opens scoring
  • Seabi and Musona give hosts the lead
  • Manyisa levels
  • Ramagalela hits winner

Match summary

Sundowns were on top in the first half and grabbed the lead through George Lebese. However, they wasted a number of golden chances to continue the scoring with Percy Tau, Themba Zwane and Oupa Manyisa missing sitters. 

After the interval Polokwane roared into life and hit the front through Sammy Seabi and Walter Musona. Manyisa equalised before Rodney Ramagalela bagged a late winner at the Peter Mokaba Stadium.

Match report 

Mamelodi Sundowns were rampant in the first half and took the lead through Lebese inside five minutes. After Hlompho Kekana picked out the forward from the right, he fired home from inside the box to hand the visitors the advantage.

In the 10th minute the lively Tau cut inside from the right and eliminated two defenders, before seeing his left-footed strike saved safely by George Chigova.

Moments later Zwane was inches away from extending the advantage when neat interplay on the right saw Tau picked out in the box, and the ball fell to Zwane though his deflected strike whistled just wide. 

It was wave after wave of Brazilians attacks and when Polokwane gave the ball away carelessly, Zwane played in Manyisa but his strike was saved by the keeper at the near post.

In the 18th minute Tau found himself one-on-one with Chigova but he saw his strike tipped around the post. 

The hosts barely threatened, though Motjeka Madisha pulled off a great block on Ramagalela when it appeared the striker's powerful shot may threaten Denis Onyango's goal.

Soon after Zwane curled a shot wide before Tau was again played through on goal with the keeper, but his strike rolled inches wide of the post. 

Just before the break the invasion continued when Zwane was played through into the left-hand side of the big box by Tau, but he again narrowly struck wide at the far post.

Incredibly, it ended just 1-0 at the interval. After half-time, the game exploded into life as the home team hit the front in the space of two minutes. 

Firstly, Seabi headed home from a free kick in the 58th minute from Jabu Maluleke's assist before Musona sensationally added a second a minute later after an error at the back by Downs.

However, Manyisa pulled matters level in the 65th minute when his clever run behind the defence saw him convert smartly with a first time finish. 

Incredibly, the hosts had the final say when former Sundowns forward, Ramagalela, fired beyond Onyango at his far post to seal the three points, with question marks surrounding the positional play of centre-back Ricardo Nascimento.