Reports & Previews

Mahachi ends Arrows' long winless run

Golden Arrows recorded their first Premiership win since September as they beat SuperSport United 1-0 at Princess Magogo Stadium on Sunday.

  • Golden Arrows 1 SuperSport United 0
  • Mahachi scores the only goal of the game
  • Mnyamane wasteful for Matsatsantsa
  • Arrows' first league win since September

Match Summary

Arrows were full value for their narrow victory having created the better opportunities and they were rewarded for their enterprising approach when Kudakwashe Mahachi netted the only goal of the game.

Full Report

The hosts had gone 12 matches without a win, but they made the better start in KwaMashu, with Mahachi's pace and trickery earning their first chance of the game.

He was brought down after a good run down the right by a poor tackle from Morgan Gould in the 20th minute. The resultant free-kick was struck well by Danny Venter and looked to be heading into the near post before the experienced Gould made amends as he deflected it wide with his head.

Matsatsantsa only started to threaten after the half-hour mark. Teboho Mokoena was put through on goal by Thabo Mnyamane, but Nkosingiphile Gumede was quick out of his goal and made a smart save with his body.

Abafana Bes'thende created their best opportunity of the half two minutes before the break as Siphelele Magubane found space down the left flank and his cut-back into the box picked out an unmarked Venter but his shot was dragged wide of the target.

The searing heat made it difficult for both teams to put together meaningful attacks. At the hour mark, Thuso Phala's long ball picked out Mnyamane in the box against the run of play, but his volley was fired across goal when he really should have scored.

With 10 minutes left on the clock, Mahachi scored what would turn out to be the winner. He initially set up Venter, whose shot was saved by Reyaad Pieterse but the ball was pushed into the path of Mahachi, who calmly slotted into an empty net.

Eric Tinkler's side had one last chance to get something from the game in the 85th minute, but Mnyamane's poor finishing let them down. Second-half substitute Reneilwe Letsholonyane found him in the box but he blazed over from close range.